Tuesday, October 11, 2011

League of Legends: The Story of AUTOTunnelGG (My Struggle)


'I'm mad' - Shiftymcgrif

Here’s a story about how I connected to League of Legends, after being beset by firewalls and filters for the past week. It was a horrible time, and every day I wanted to throw my computer out the window. I wanted nothing more than to connect, play with my friends at a reasonable latency, and be merry, but this public internet filter system had done all in its power to prevent this from happening.

My frustration reached epic levels after going back and forth in emails with the front desk staff in the building I live in. They did not want me to connect to my online games. They wanted their network free of all gaming period. The additional bandwidth needed for my treasured pieces of programming was far too high, and there was no way they would relent. I was in hell. My mind raced to search for alternatives, and in an act of desperation I sought other means.

Little did I know, there was a way to connect, via proxy servers, which I had little to no experience with. Some guy on an internet forum told me of a special proxy service that re-routed my internet through a west coast US server, thereby circumventing all traffic handlers, courtesy of the front-desk staff, placed on my network.

Finally, I would be able to play my favorite video games on the internet once again! 

Well, this avenue was not without some tragedy. There was little doubt in my mind that the solutions to all my problems had been discovered, and that never again would I suffer behind a firewall so malicious as to deny all precious video-game resources. It was going to be an epic celebration as I clicked the Play button and ventured forth into the Crystal Scar and Summoner’s rift unencumbered by the stygian shackles of modern security implements. The reckoning was at hand! Indeed, I had thought such ridiculous things, and little did I know that this would only be the start of my problems.

For one, the internet blocks only cut out the ports I needed to game through, or gaming ports, as I call them. If these magical ports existed in a realm not unlike what you’d encounter in an underground subway littered with pedestrian bystanders, which in this case could be represented as particles of data being emitted through streams of non-existent energy, taking on the form of light-speed transmissions observable to those methodical enough to detect photonic bursts, would time slow down?

My first inclination would be to suggest that, just as with the effects of a gravity well inside a black hole, time does not slow down, but is stretched to the realms of infinity, never to cease from reaching the point at which it indefinitely stops, frozen, invisible, removing all semblance of a dimension responsible for keeping us up to date with current events both within and without.

It occurred to me that in this technological landscape, there existed neon forests of cell-shaded brilliance, coalescing in masses of pixelated form, reshaped and modeled to exhibit distinctly human features. It was all quite nostalgic, and is not without a sense of interest. Curiosity is what leads one to the secretive and unknown, at it is this sense primarily that lead me to contemplate things as they interacted in transitive motion, that is to say, became visually represented by a data-structure matrix bound by variable inputs. What does it all mean?


There were situations not unlike this that arose during times of intense mental stimulation, wherein the interaction of videogames was not without its appropriate presence, an illusion wrapped in worlds of pixel and colour, overlaying invisible structures of interactive physics, echoing within nearby platforms of electron transmission, divided by transistors being processed, rerouted, and signaled by their respective logic gates.


It was only then that I realized the significance of maintaining a train of thought directed against high latency. The millisecond response of keyboard to server and back required real-time calculation. Visual feedback produced itself in the form of abilities designed to eviscerate and slay the points being represented by enemy players, and it is their defeated corpses that littered the ground in pools of animated blood, so there’s little reason to describe why and how this situation is improved by latency operators conducive to lag-free gameplay. It’s kind of self-evident.

And then there came a day when AUTOTUNNELGG entered the arena. It arrived in the form of a simple executable, and installed itself with seemingly little effort, an automatic operation imprinting itself upon magnetic disks and virtual spaces for the purposes of retrieval and manipulation. It interacted with my network by ignoring the fields of data incineration, and circumvented the metaphorical brick walls with the elusiveness of a tunnel rat. It possessed no internalized opinions about the actions taking place, and regarded all forms of measured security to be non-existent, inasmuch all forms of joyous gameplay flooded said communication lines.


'In Perfect Harmony' - Janna

No comments:

Post a Comment