Tuesday, October 25, 2011

League of Legends Novel Progress - Pt. 2

So, I've taken it upon myself to write a book, a novel based on one of my favorite video games. I intend to do this incrementally, as it would be redundantly insane to pen all ~60,000 words in one sitting. What has occurred to me is that writing 2,000 word intervals is the most appealing route to this goal, and I intend to have a rough sketch of this novel completed in under a month. It is becoming increasingly less difficult for me to write considerable amounts on a daily basis, and although I am nowhere near satisfied with my output, I do know that through refinement, editing, and other procedural things, everything will fall into place. Thus far I've managed to tackle a bunch of shit - about 20 pages worth of writing, or possibly 25. I tend to write by getting an overall theme - an overbearing concept - and I fill in the gaps of that concept by creating small, short-story-esque works of several thousand words that are eventually culled into refine, standalone segments in their own respect. Then, I combine several, or possibly just two, of these works into a larger work, and the others are soon absorbed once all the necessary bridges and pathways have been established between the works, to give them breathing room, you could say.

sometimes my process starts with something simple like:


Lol this reminds me of the story i’m working on and there’s going to be a part in it when General Swain bursts through the fucking door and goes BITCHES HAVE SOME BIRDS and then he shoots birds out of his arms and all the zombies get ripped apart by them, then the birds save Talon and Katarina and all the zombies get curb-stomped in .3 seconds lol story over.


and then i develop the ideas further.


The purpose of this is to segment all parts - so that they may be better analyzed as standalone pieces, and this creates, at least for me, a better quality of writing. I do not know if this is the most effective method, as it seems rather disorganized. I have in my portfolio folder on my desktop a myriad of disjointed text files related to many different things, and reconciling them into something readable and coherent can be somewhat of a daunting task. However, when you love to write, this task is not daunting at all, as it is a labor of love - and it is something that I am dead serious about doing for a living. Maybe it will be several months before I have something workable - a real transcript filled with concepts and Ideas that I've developed endlessly throughout my writing exercises. Maybe it will be junk and nobody will read it. If that happens, I will remake it, revise, and rewrite. Maybe the revised transcript will be rejected. I will revise, remake, and rewrite that. I will do it a million times. I will do it until my keyboard breaks, or all the keyboards in my immediate vicinity break, until I am forced to not only scrawl my uneven, desperate words on thin pieces of ridiculous lined paper, but even until i have no paper or pens or pencils to write with. I will write it inside my mind, until I run out of hard-drive space. JK - you can't run out of hard-drive space in your brain. Can you?

Here's a part I wrote today. It's rough, but I'm happy with how the action parts turned out. I also liked the descriptions. What needs work is the dialogue and many syntaxes. Syntaxes is not a word, but it relates to grammar and syntax errors. I learned about syntax and logic errors in my grade 11 computer science class, where I gave not a fuck and played 3d pong in most cases. In other cases, I read about World Of Warcraft from thottbot, because that was one website that wasn't blocked by our school network! Ahh, high school.

http://shiftymcgrif.tumblr.com/post/11940869488/halloween-inspired-league-of-legends-story-noxian


Here's some fucking pictures.
























1 comment:

  1. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!.
    riot point

    ReplyDelete