Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dat IRL. Plans. Goals. Video Games.

So I moved away from Ottawa a couple weeks ago. Now I'm living with my brother in a downtown Hostel, which is quite respectable given the location and price. It's not the lap of luxury, but it's a place that will help us get where we want to go. We've both struggled to find work here, as BC does have the highest unemployment rate in Canada, but with some luck and determination, we have, more or lesse managed to secure full-time employment.

It's not everyday that I'm willing to admit how hard things can be, but it has definitely been a struggle getting to this point. I've lived on my own before, but not in a sense that I felt truly independent. Even now, I don't feel truly like a self-sustaining and independent person, but that's something I'll have to live with until I get my own place to live, with my own things. With that being said, I've realized the importance of setting up plans for myself. Short term-goals to meet with the intent of achieving long-term ones. Even this has been a struggle, as in the past I haven't been as motivated and driven as some people, and the grass is always greener, but one thing I've learned is that maintaining a positive work ethic, and keeping my head up, is key.

Do I want to be in my own place by December? Yes, and this will happen so long as I stay dedicated to this goal. There is more than enough motivation for me to achieve this goal; namely, having a stable, high-speed internet connection that allows me to game, upload videos, and participate in the gaming communities that I enjoy. To some this may seem like an unreasonable thing to care about, but this is for me. This is something I want to do, and regardless of what others may think, I'm going to do everything in my power to achieve it. And not just that. I have plans to succeed in this area. Whether it be through entering the world of game design, via writing, or other creative routes, I'm going to make it happen. It is entirely in my power to do this, and I'm not going to let myself become overwhelmed by obstacles. Too often have I been my own worst enemy, inasmuch there have been many times where I've sunk, became stagnant, and lacked any will or motivation to succeed, but this is no longer the case. Something clicks now, and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm 23 and am finally starting to get it.

The situation is this: I have talents, and I will use them to the best of my ability to get where I want to go. I will promote my material so that others may become aware of my talents, and through this effort I hope to establish a following of people who appreciate my effort, and who enjoy the work I do. I want to make an impact on the gaming industry in my own way, and I want it to matter. I want to do what it takes to earn the respect of those who've gone through the hoops, and who've done the whole song and dance. There's no shortcut to this. There is a tried and true method of creating a body of work to be appreciated and enjoyed by those like-minded individuals who, while not always agreeing with my opinions, might better understand a certain topic of interest via my efforts.

I expect that there will be no small amount of time needed to accomplish this goal, and in reality it's a combination of goals that will make this happen, but as far as I'm concerned it could be a million goals. I don't care. My mind is set on something, and I know that, for all the right reasons, it's worth it, and nobody can convince me otherwise. This is my time to do something that has a positive impact on my life and the lives of those around me. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment